immigration lawyers in melbourne

Married or De Facto

Securing Your Future Together

The Partner visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia temporarily. Getting the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).

In applying for a Partner visa, you must illustrate whether or not you are in a spousal (married) or a de facto relationship with the sponsor of your application under the rules of the Migration Law.

Under these rules, the delegate must be satisfied that:

  • there is mutual commitment to a shared life together, to the exclusion of all others

  • the relationship is genuine and continuing

  • you live together, or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis, and

  • your marriage is valid for the purposes of the Migration Act 1958 or your de facto partner is not related by family.

The delegate will consider all circumstances of the relationship, and in particular:

  • the financial aspects of your relationship

  • the nature of your household

  • the social aspects of your relationship

  • the nature of the commitment to each other.

If you are unsure about whether you meet the criteria for a Partner visa, contact Katsaros & Associates today to a confidential conversation with one of our lawyers.

Securing Your Future Together